WINZ Counselling can be FREE

Students can apply through Studylink

All other applications are made through Work and Income

Disability Allowance for Counselling

You can apply for WINZ Disability Allowance if you need help funding your counselling sessions.

At Counsellors NZ,

  • We recognise the need for accessible mental health care for everyone. Our mental health is a crucial part of our overall well-being.
  • We do not ask for additional contribution costs.

Below are the steps to help you obtain the funds you need for counselling.

Eligibility criteria for the Disability Allowance

  • You do not have to be on a benefit to be eligible for the disability allowance.
  • You can apply if you have a disability likely to last more than 6 months.
  • You can apply if you are a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident.
  • You can apply if you have ongoing costs incurred because of your disability that another agency does not fully cover.
  • You can apply for yourself, your partner or your child.
  • Disabilities that are eligible include; Stress, Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, and other psychological conditions.

Who can get it?

Your SituationWeekly income limits (before tax)
Single 16-17 years$660.90
Single 18+ years$823.31
Couple (with or without children)$1,225.95
Sole parent with 1 child$921.73
Sole parent with 2 or more children$971.14
Eligibility Criteria

How to apply for Disability Allowance for Counselling

  1. If you are already on a benefit obtain the disability allowance form and disability certificate for counselling form and take these to your local GP. Students use the student disability allowance form
  2. If you are a new WINZ client obtain the Extra Help form and disability certificate for counselling form and take these to your local GP.
  3. Set up an appointment with a WINZ approved counsellor using the contact us.
  4. The completed forms will need to be submitted to WINZ using the MSD portal or dropped off at your nearest WINZ service centre.

The Temporary Additional Support form can be used for people who have maxed out their disability allowance.

No Redirection of WINZ Benefit Payments for Counselling

Some organisations that offer counselling use the WINZ Redirection of Benefit Payment Form to guarantee payment of each counselling session.

The WINZ Redirection of Benefit payment form specifically states “Requests for a redirection will only be approved in special circumstances and for good reason.
You’ll need to show us why you can’t use other options, such as paying by direct debit or using your bank’s automatic payment service.

At Counsellors NZ we feel that employing the WINZ redirection form in this manner might actually disempower and marginalise clients. They might be compelled to accept the organization’s choice of payment method rather than having the autonomy to decide what suits them best. This could also affect the therapeutic relationship, as clients may feel their independence and agency are compromised.

It is important to note that we do not require counselling payments to be redirected to us.

Renewing Disability Allowance for Counselling

If you want to continue your counselling for an additional 20 sessions, here are the following steps on how to do it:

  1. You are required by us to have attended 70% of your sessions in order for us to sign off on your renewal. To be safe, start arranging your renewal 3 weeks before your disability allowance for counselling expires.
  2. To reapply, you only need to complete the disability certificate for counselling form. It will require you to visit your GP.
  3. You can then scan and send the form to us at to complete the counsellor’s section of the form. If we need more information from you, we can contact you.

The completed forms will need to be dropped off at your nearest WINZ service centre.